Friday, January 4, 2008

His peace

Early last spring one night as the sun was setting,I had taken a walk out onto the marsh,we have a wooden walkway out to the first creek.As you walk you are surrounded by the high marsh grass.Usually at this time the birds are starting to come out of the high grass and head for their nights roost.The sun is setting.It is so quiet that at times you can hear yourself breathe.I had come to sit by the water, where I go to pray at times, feeling closer to God when I am surrounded by nature.

At this particular time my mother had been battling lung cancer.In the fall she had part of her lung removed and had endured weeks of chemo.After all of this we had found out that the cancer was still there.After months of trusting the Lord and having peace.It had disappeared in an instant.You know the feeling.Where, before there was a calmness,then came thoughts,the what if's.The fear of the unknown.And it began to grow.When fear sets in,its starts out small.A fleeting thought perhaps at first.If we don't get a handle on it,it starts to grow,slowly at first ,it then increases picking up speed until it becomes out of control ,growing by leaps and bounds and we are frozen.Where peace and a calm once resided, it is now replaced by fear and uncertainty.

I stood out on the marsh looking out over the sunset,watching the birds flying out of the grasses,and praying that the peace would return.The air was calm,not a piece of grass blowing.A gust of wind came up and seemed to smack me in the face,when it did , instantly tears came to my eyes and I heard in my spirit, why do you fear? Do you not see the birds? I provide for them.I will never leave you.I am in the wind,I am in the water. I will never leave you ,I will never forsake you.Do not fear. Do not fear.He kept repeating it as though he was making sure I had heard him clearly.

I knew at that instant that he was there.He had created everything around me.He had made the beautiful sunset, the birds,the fish in the creek.None of them ever worried about what they would eat,where they would sleep,they had no worries.And he would provide for their every need.So why should I doubt that he would take care of my mother? That he would be with us through this ordeal.And he has taken care of her.He was with us through it all.My peace was restored and he healed my mother of her cancer.We need to believe his word. He will give you peace in all circumstances,all we need to do is ask.

Matthew 6;26 Look at the birds of the air,they do not sow or reap or store away in barns.and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.Are you not much more valuable than they?

Deuteronomy 31;8 The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you,he will never leave you nor forsake you.Do not be afraid,do not be discouraged.

No comments: